A vacation isn’t complete until you’ve had your obligatory hunt for local treasures. Visit the largest and most important church in the country, the Basilica de La Altagracia. Stroll along the main street and observe the daily activity of the city: the cafeterias, the shoe shiners, the fruit stalls and their vendors. Visit the Church of San Dioniso, built over 500 years ago! Visit a local gift shop and take the opportunity to stock up on some traditional goods.
Join our authentic city tour and discover the urban side of the region through a tour of the largest city around Punta Cana.
Excursion Higüey City Tour Dominican Republic, Tours and Visit to the Basilica and Old Temple and shopping.
The excursion Higüey City Tours in the Dominican Republic, Dare to visit the basilica of Higüey in memory of the Virgen de la Altagracia where you will visit the ancient and modern temple, you will also make your purchases of typical souvenirs of the country such as the aphrodisiac drink mamajuana of the country, rum of cane, guiro and drum typical instruments of Dominican music you can also buy amber and larimar precious stone that is produced here and also paintings of recognized national and international paintings of the culture of the region and many other things…. In this tour you will also visit the popular market, and also the shopping center… and you will visit the Dominican souvenir shop.
Located in the vicinity of Higüey and inaugurated in 1971, this cathedral is among the most important religious sites in the Dominican Republic. In honor of the Virgen de la Altagracia, patron saint of the Dominicans, it stands out for its 69-meter or 225-foot-high arch, with a bronze and gold cover. The altar contains a framed painting of the Virgin Mary dating from the 16th century, the centerpiece of the devotion. Legend has it that a sick girl was cured when she saw the Virgin Mary appear in this place, near an orange tree, and later found her portrait painted below her. Every January 21, pilgrims from all over the country flock here to pay their respects, lining up at the altar and placing their orders. The celebrations continue around the cathedral with local food and drinks.
- It originates a spiritual pilgrimage to the Basilica of Higüey. Its splendor and elegant architecture will take your breath away.
- Visit the church of San Dionisio. Explore the most relevant historical aspects of the recent history of La Altagracia, which covers the last 500 years
- Witness the traditional way in which master craftsmen make the best cigars.
- Find out how tobacco has boosted the national economy. Take a box home and surprise your friends.
- Buy the most distinctive samples of local crafts and the best Dominican rum.
WHAT TO EXPECT?
Un día lleno de diversión donde podrá sumergirse en la cultura dominicana guiado por el personal más amable. Pruebe el jugo fresco de caña de azúcar, aprenda cómo se enrollan los cigarros, sea recibido en una casa dominicana, disfrute de un delicioso almuerzo típico y termine su día disfrutando de las aguas del increíble río Anamuya.
WHAT DOES HIGUEY TOURS INCLUDE?
- Comfortable Tourist Bus
- Pick up at a specific point or prominent hotels
- Visit the Basilica of the Virgin of Altagracia
- Visit to the old temple of Higuey
- Walk through the pioneer town
- Visit to the Higuey market
- Shopping time
- Visit typical Dominican house
In case of not being able to take the excursion due to weather, illness or missing flight to enter the country, you can present the proof through WhatsApp or mail and have the option to reschedule the tour for another date with a credit note.